Sunday, September 22, 2013

Countdown

Dear fellow Anthology poets in Ireland and elsewhere,

Perhaps you saw my multiple chemical sensitivity blog, "Distilled Clear" [see note below]* within the last two weeks.  And perhaps some of you clicked over to this blog.  

Before you forget that you ever saw either blog, I'd like to say something:

Hello!

I would have met you in person last year at the Whitehouse Pub on July 26th for the launch of Anthology for a River, but I was at the dentist.  In the USA.

At 8:30 p.m. your time, my mouth was filled with a plastic mold, hardening.  (The indignity of it all . . . )

Reduced to muteness under the clinical fluorescent lights, I had to face facts:  This was not a prime scenario for a person hoping to read her poem in a warmly-lit pub in Ireland.  Things just weren't going according to plan.  As I counted down the minutes and seconds to free airspace, I contemplated the words, "poetic justice."  Was this sad or was this funny?

The very night I could have been reading my poem aloud in Europe, I'm marooned in a dentist's chair with my mouth completely jammed up . . . gesticulating toward the clock and the window screen (reassurance of air, air), and "miming" for a pad on which to write things down -- as in, "How many more minutes to go?"

There was no food served under the fluorescents, the comedy was me, and my "grog" was water from the dental tap.  I did, however, manage to enjoy some "craic" with the dental assistant.

I can only conclude that Heaven does, indeed, have a sense of humor:  This was where -- and how -- Providence saw fit to place me on the evening of July 26th, 2012.

But here I am, today, a survivor of the daunting dental mold, constructing this fledgling blog -- 

And hoping, still, to join you in efforts to save this mightily poetic and historical river.

Ideas are the sparks which can change the course of things . . .

I welcome your ideas!  

Regards,

C. M.

*A temporary re-titling of my blog, Daisies and Vinegar 2011.

Humor - A spoof on my actual, real-time visit to my dentist on the eve of July 26, 2012.  I really would have loved to meet all of you.
          ~ Carolyn (E.) Marra, May 7, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment